Day 8: Glenwood Canyon, Harley’s Dome and Wildflowers

Day 8: Tuesday, June 4th – Green River, Utah KOA. Miles Traveled: 217. Elevation: 4,075 feet. Total Trip Miles: 1,825. Miles to Richland: 806 miles to go!

We drove through Glenwood Canyon and Glenwood Springs this morning and they were spectacular! We found lots of rest areas and picnic spots along this section of I-70.

After leaving the canyon, the landscape slowly changed to desert. We stopped to stretch our legs and take a walk to a scenic view at Harley’s Dome. We saw a few wildflowers and twisted cedar trees along our short walk.

About Holly Ritger

I am retired, enjoying being a grandmother, traveling to National Parks and other interesting places in our RV with my husband of 43 years, and visiting with friends and family. Hobbies: photography, learning about wildflowers and birds, and trees, and reading from my kindle.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Day 8: Glenwood Canyon, Harley’s Dome and Wildflowers

1. tybeegal says:

So glad you are getting to stretch your legs a bit and enjoying the scenery.

• Holly Ritger says:

Me too, but it isn’t often! Mostly, we stop at rest areas and campgrounds. Sometimes there are historic markers or short nature trails at the rest stops. It’s so good to get out of the truck and stretch our legs!

2. tybeegal says:

John and I stopped in Green River the last time we were in Utah. They are famous for their melons. When we stopped there, they were at the end of their season and the selection was not as good.

3. Ingrid says:

I love that stretch of I-70 through the Glenwood Canyon. We’ll be hitting the road fulltime next month and hope to get in plenty of summer scenery. Happy trails.

4. Carol Sarafconn says:

Amazing photos taken through the windshield, right? The picture of Holly in her red jacket made me smile. My grandparents did a great deal of international travel in their retirement and my grandfather documented it all with photographs. He used color film before it was common. My grandmother always wore a red coat when they traveled because the color showed up so well in the photographs. As a child I sat through long slide shows. I believe I have seen most of the major tourist sites in the world with my grandmother in her red coat in the foreground. Holly, keeping your red jacket on. You look terrific!

• Holly Ritger says:

Hi Carol and Happy Birthday! Through the windshield was enabled using a circular polarizer filter to get rid of the glare. The Nikon camera did well at that but it died on me a few days ago. Amazon is delivering a digital camera to me on Monday, at Susie’s! We arrived yesterday and she hasn’t given birth yet… We even were able to swim at the RV Park pool and Eliza loved the hot tub.

I remember hearing stories about your grandparents traveling but I never realized they traveled the world… Your grandma was right about red looking good in photos. I just like red, and purple, a lot.
      It’s good to hear from you and I hope you and Bob are both well.