40th Anniversary Fall Trip to the Great Smokies

The National Parks finally reopened Thursday, October 17th (after 16 days of government shutdown). We immediately called and got a campsite for 9 nights at Twin Creek RV Resort in Gatlinburg,TN, just outside the Great Smokey Mountain NP. We drove up Friday, October 18th and the weather couldn’t be nicer. Highs in the mid 60s and lows in the mid to low 40s. It’s fall up here! We traveled up US Hwy 441 through the park, aka Newfound Gap Road. At elevations of 3,500 and above, the fall colors in the park were near peak.

We will have to return to the park after the weekend to view the vistas when there aren’t quite as many people on the roads. It is hard to pull over when you are pulling a fifth wheel along twisty, narrow roads!

About Holly Ritger

I am retired, enjoying being a grandmother, traveling to National Parks and other interesting places in our RV with my husband of 43 years, and visiting with friends and family. Hobbies: photography, learning about wildflowers and birds, and trees, and reading from my kindle.
This entry was posted in Fall, Fall Color, Great Smoky Mtn NP and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 40th Anniversary Fall Trip to the Great Smokies

1. Sherry says:

I know you are enjoying the crisp air of Fall and the bautiful colors. Happy Anniversary!

2. Ingrid says:

Beautiful fall colors. We’re already in AZ and thus missed the changing of the leaves. Nice photos.

3. Lynn Crowley says:

Happy Anniversary – so glad the parks are open again so you could go. The pics are wonderful, thanks for sharing.

4. How beautiful. Looks like you’ve timed it just right.

5. placestheygo says:

I can’t believe how beautiful those colors are! Gorgeous!

6. Frank & Ann says:

It is nice to see some of the leaves are changing colors. The pictures were beautiful. Have a wonderful 40th anniversary trip. We will miss you at Card Club. Ann & Frank

7. Gorgeous! I wished we are in the mountains now . I think we did reversed our route. Thank you for your beautiful photos,and look forward for more. I know the Great Smokies has one of the best fall foliage.
    Happy Anniversary.

• Holly Ritger says:

Thanks so much for the anniversary wishes. I have been behind on posting, enjoying the good weather outside while it lasts and need to catch up!